More than 4 million hectares of land is on fire or has been burnt in NSW alone. Our national parks are the greatest way to protect, home and preserve our wildlife. There are no signs of the bushfires easing and the seasonal conditions are only going to make things worse. It is estimated that 500 million animals have died in the fires, with the death toll expected to rise over the coming months. Solmed Pty Ltd have given many donations to our local wildlife rescuers for the Blue Mountains but more help is needed! Our team have reached out to our well-known wildlife rescuers and asked if they would allow us to organise getting some donations to help with the wildlife victims of the bushfires in the Blue Mountains area and they have humbly accepted.
We had a chat with some of the wildlife rescuers/carers about what is involved, both during and post bushfires, and we were shocked by the lengths they go to, to save our precious wildlife:
- They spend hours trekking the ruins of our national parks, post fire, looking for injured wildlife.
- They search desperately to get their hands on what little hay and pellets are available in the area.
- They make food and water stations to place all around the national parks, filling it will fruit, oats, nuts and water twice a day.
- They take injured wildlife to vet appointments.
- They take care of the animals in their own homes, feeding them, changing their wound dressings, keeping up with their medications.
- ALL OF THIS IS IN THEIR OWN TIME, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE OR WITH HELP FROM COMMUNITY DONATIONS!
How can you help?
You can purchase products online to donate to the Blue Mountains Wildlife Rescuers/Carers. When you reach the check out, click the Wildlife Bush Fire Rescue Donations - Blue Mountains option. We will then deliver the products to the local drop point.
What do they need?
Bandages (Especially Cohesive), Non-Adherent Dressings, Syringes, Universal Scissors, P2 Masks, Winged Infusion Sets (Preferably 23G), Drawing Up Needles, Saline Bags, Saline Ampoules, Nitrile Gloves, First Aid Essentials.
All donations are greatly appreciated! Our Wildlife Rescuers/Carers need all the help they can get. If you require any assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.